Ancient metallurgy03 Oct 1994 12:00
Especially swords, bells, ritual objects. The bronzes of ancient China are a particular obsession.
- Mircea Eliade, The Forge and the Crucible
- Joseph Needham, Science and Civilisation in China, vol. 5 has, in the course of its discussion of alchemy, a lot to say about less esoteric sorts of working in metals.
- Cyril Stanley Smith, A Search for Structure: Selected Essays on Science, Art, and History and From Art to Science : Seventy-two Objects Illustrating the Nature of Discovery
- Wen Fong (ed.), The Great Bronze Age of China
- To read:
- Sandra Blakely, [Myth, Ritual and Metallurgy in Ancient Greece and Recent Africa
- Dorothy Hosler, The Sounds and Colors of Power:The Sacred Metallurgical Technology of Ancient West Mexico
- Cyril Stanley Smith, A History of Metallography; the Development of Ideas on the Structure of Metals before 1890