Phoenicians03 Oct 1994 12:02
Their explorations, and the ancient trade routes generally. Their culture and its influence on Greece, Israel.
- To read:
- Maria Eugenia Aubet, The Phoenicians in the West: Politics, Colonies and Trade
- Serge Lancel, Carthage: A History
- Carolina Lóóez-Ruiz, Phoenicians and the Making of the Mediterranean
- Richard Miles, Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization
- Josephine Quinn, In Search of the Phoenicians ["makes the startling claim that the “Phoenicians” never actually existed. Taking readers from the ancient world to today, this monumental book argues that the notion of these sailors as a coherent people with a shared identity, history, and culture is a product of modern nationalist ideologies—and a notion very much at odds with the ancient sources."]