Proto-industrialism03 Oct 1994 12:02
Manufacturing goods in quantity for export sale, before industrial machinery.
In classical antiquity. In ancient China. In T'ang and Sung China. In medieval Europe and Islam.
- M. I. Finley, The Ancient Economy
- Mark Elvin, The Pattern of the Chinese Past
- Joseph Needham, Science and Civilisation in China
- To read:
- Lü shih ch'un ch'iu
- Pratt, Japan's Protoindustrial Elite: The Economic Foundations of the Gono [Blurb]
- The Salt and Iron Dialogues
- Shiba, Commerce and Society in Sung China