Intelligence augmentation03 Oct 1994 12:01
Memory. Socrates and the Sophists. Starting education early. Progressive and esp. Montessori education. Use of machines à la Calvin or Ashby. Drugs don't seem to work (yet). Developmental or genetic tampering. In science fiction.
- W. Ross Ashby, Introduction to Cybernetics [see the last chapters, on "amplification of selection"]
- John Brunner, Shockwave Rider and Stand on Zanzibar
- Andy Clark, Natural-Born Cyborgs: Minds, Technologies, and the Future of Human Intelligence
- Barbara Ehrenreich, Kipper's Game
- Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man
- J. B. S. Haldane, Daedalus
- Seymour Papert, The Children's Machine [About as good as any book on education funding in part by Nintendo could possibly be.]
- Plato, especially Meno
- Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies, esp. vol. I
- To read:
- Ashby, "Design for an Intelligence Amplifier"
- Seymour Papert, Mindstorms
- Olaf Stapeldon, Sirius